- Ph.D., Civil and Environmental Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University, 1995.
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering (M.S.M.E.), University of Minnesota, 1991.
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering (B.S.M.E.), University of Minnesota, 1987.
Dr. Michael Bergin has both Bachelor's and Master's Degrees in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Minnesota, as well as a PhD in Civil and Environmental Engineering from Carnegie Mellon University. In addition, he spent one and a half years as a Mombusho Scholar at Kyoto University in Japan. Dr. Bergin's research focuses on atmospheric aerosol particles and their impacts. He has received several awards based on his research accomplishments including the Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (AEESP) Parsons Award for Outstanding Doctoral Thesis, the Department of Energy Global Change Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellowship, and the Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE).
- Air pollution
- Formation, transport, and deposition of aerosols
- Influence of aerosols on climate
- Air/snow exchange of aerosol chemical species
- Paleoclimate studies based on ice core chemistry
- Fog/cloud formation and chemistry
- Microcontamination in industrial processes
- Visiting Professor, University Josef Fourier, Grenoble France (June-July, 2012)
- Environmental Enginering Outstanding Professor Award, Georgia Tech Association of Environmental Engineering Students (2011)
- National Academy of Sciences, Kavli Fellow, Indo-US Frontiers of Science (2007/2009)
- Georgia Tech School of Civil and Environmental Engineering Oustanding Teacher Award (2003).
- American Association of Aerosol Research (AAAR) Board of Directors (2000). Elected to this position by the members of AAAR (which number ~ 1000).
- National Academy of Sciences, Kavli Fellow, Chinese-American Frontiers of Science (1999)
- Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers, PECASE (1998). This is the highest honor bestowed by the U.S. government on a young professional at the outset of their career.
- JGR-Atmospheres 1997 Editors’ Citation for Excellence in Refereeing (1997). Awarded for excellence in reviewing articles related to the atmosphere by the American Geophysical Union (AGU).
- Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (AEEP) Parsons Award for Outstanding Doctoral Thesis (1995). Cash award for the outstanding doctoral thesis of 1995.
- DOE Global Change Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellowship (1995). A two year fellowship which was served jointly at NOAA in Boulder, Colorado and Brookhaven National Laboratory in Upton, New York.
- Atmospheric Chemistry Colloquium for Emerging Senior Scientists (ACCESS III)/Gordon Research Conference (1995). Travel grant awarded to attend both conferences.
- Carnegie Mellon University Graduate Student Teaching Award (1994). Awarded for excellence in teaching by a graduate student.
- Mombusho (Japan Ministry of Education) Scholarship (1989). Full scholarship awarded for one and a half years of study at Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan.
- Wright, P., Bergin, M., Dibb, J.E., Lefer, B., Domine, F., Carman, T., Carmagnola, C., Dumont, M., Schaaf, C., Wang, Z., Courville, Z., Comparing MODIS daily snow albedo to spectral albedo fieldmeasurements in Central Greenland, Remote Sens. Environ., 140, 118-129, 2014.
- Liu, J., Scheuer, E., Dibb, J.E., Ziemba, L.D., Thornhill, K.L., Andersen, B.E., Wisthaler, A., Milkoviny, T., Jai Devi, J., Bergin, M.H., Weber, R.J., Brown carbon in the continental free troposphere, Geophys.Res. Lett., DOI: 10.1002/2013GL058976, 2014.
- Liu, J., Bergin, M., Guo, H., King, L., Kotra, N., Edgerton, E., Weber, R.J., Size-resolved measurements of brown carbon and estimates of their contribution to ambient fine particle light absorption based on water and methanol abstracts, Atmos. Chem . Phys. Disc., 13(7), 18233-18276, 2013.
- Galvis, B., Bergin, M., Russell, A.G., Fuel-based fine particulate and black carbon emissions factors from a railyard area in Atlanta, J. Air and Waste Manag. Assoc., 63(6), 648-658, 2013.
- Carmagnola, C.M., Domine, F., Dumont, M., Wright, P., Strellis, B., Bergin, M., Dibb, J., Picard, G.,Morin, S., Snow spectral albedo at Summit, Greenland: Comparison between in situ measurements and numerical simulations using measured physical and chemical properties of the snowpack, Cryosphere,7(4), 1139-1160, 2013.
- C.M. Carmagnola, F. Domine, M. Dumont, P. Wright, M. Bergin, J. Dibb, L. Arnaud, G. Picard, N. Champollion, S. Morin, Ricerche sulla neve in Groenlandia: misure e risultati della campagna alla base Summit, Nimbus (Journal of the Italian Meteorological Society), Vol. 63-64, 6-14, 2012.
- Bergin, M.H., Radiative Forcing by Anthropogenic Aerosols in China: Sources and Impacts, in Urbanization, Energy, and Clean Air, National Academies Press, 155-170, 2004.
- Bergin, M.H., Aerosol Radiative Properties and Their Impacts, in From Weather Forecasting to Exploring the Solar System (Ed. C. Boutron), EDP Sciences, France, 51-65, 2000.
- Galvis, B., Russell, A.G., Bergin, M.H., Fuel-based fine particulate and black carbon emissions factorsfrom a railyard area in Atlanta, American Association of Aerosol Research (AAAR) Annual Conference, Portland, Oregon, October, 2013. (Abstract and presentation by B. Galvis).
- Deleon-Rodriguez, N., Lathem, T., Anderson, B., Beyersdorf, A., Ziemba, L., Bergin, M.H., Nenes, A., Konstantinidis, K., Interactions of airborne microbial communities with clouds: A perspective frommetagenomic analysis, American Association of Aerosol Research (AAAR) Annual Conference, Portland,Oregon, October, 2013. (Abstract and presentation by N. Deleon-Rodrigues).
- Jai Devi, J., Bergin, M.H., Tripathi, S.N., Gupta, T., McKenzie, M., Shafer, M., Schauer, J.J., Rana, K.S., The color of aerosol deposition and the browning of the Taj Mahal, American Association of Aerosol Research (AAAR) Annual Conference, Portland, Oregon, October, 2013. (Abstract and presentation by J.Jai Devi).
- Greenwald, R., Bergin, M.H., Sarnat, J., Identifying and characterizing short-lived air pollution events from time-series analysis of continuously-measured parameters – association with oxidative stress health outcomes, Joint meeting of the International Society of Exposure Science and International Society of Environmental Epidemiology, Basel, Switzerland, August, 2013 (Abstract and presentation by R.Greenwald).
- Greenwald, R., Li, W., Flanders, W.D., Kewada, P., Bergin, M., Sarnat, J., Acute Lipid Peroxidation in Breath and Traffic Pollution among a Panel of Commuters in Atlanta, Epidemiology, 23 (5S), 06, 2012 (Abtract and presentation by R. Greenwald).
- Bergin, M.H., Koka, R.V., Pederson, P.D., Method of Sampling and Collecting Particulate Contaminants in Drives by Using a High Flow-Through Sampling/Collecting/Counting System, IBM Technical Disclosure Bulletin, Vol. 34, No. 7A, Dec., 1991.