- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1985.
- M.S., Civil Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign,1982.
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Tichreen University, Lattakia, Syria, 1978.
Dr. Zureick is a world's leading authority on the use of innovative materials in civil engineering applications. He is Professor of Structural Engineering, Mechanics, and Materials at the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Georgia Tech. Dr. Zureick earned his BCE from Tishreen University, Syria in 1978 and his M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 1982 and 1985, respectively. For the past 25 years, Professor Zureick has directed his efforts toward new leading edge research and development topics that included integrated analytical and full-scale experiments to develop criteria and specifications for the design, testing and construction of advanced polymer composite structural systems. The results of his efforts had a major impact on both the state-of the-art and the state of practice and earned him numerous national awards, notably among them is the 1989 ASCE Norman Medal, the highest honor granted by the American Society of Civil Engineers for a technical paper judged worthy of special commendation for its merit as a contribution to the Engineering Science. Professor Zureick has developed numerous polymeric composite structural members and systems, notable examples of which are the polymer composite twin-webbed cellular I-sections with integrated longitudinal stiffeners and the triangular truss-like polymer composite bridge decks. Some of his present activities include the development of a number of standardized test protocols for composites used in civil and marine engineering applications, the development of specifications for composite materials used for rehabilitation of bridge, building and other infrastructure applications, and specifications for the design and construction with pultruded structural shapes. Professor Zureick is currently serving on the Editorial Board of the Journal of Composites for Construction and of the Structural Engineering and Mechanics and chairing the ASTM D30.05.01 on Composites for Civil Engineering and Marine Applications. He has frequently served as a consultant, an invited speaker, and a panelist on behalf of a number of Federal, State, and private organizations in the United States and around the world.
- High-performance fiber-reinforced polymeric composite materials and structural systems
- Structural stability
- Design of steel structures
- Structural optimization
- Bridge structures
- Anisotropic elasticity
- 2007 ASTM D30 Composite Materials Award for technical excellence and persistence in the development, approval, and publication of ASTM 7290”. Evaluating Material Property Characteristic Values for Polymeric Composites for Civil Engineering Structural applications.
- 2007 ASTM D30 Composite Materials Award of Appreciation “for technical excellence and persistence in the development, approval, and publication of ASTM 7205 “Test Method for Tensile Properties of Fiber Reinforced Polymer Matrix Composite Bars”. This is the first American Concrete Institute standard transitioned into ASTM D30, and results from your and Russell Gentry’s leadership in facilitating the relationship between ACI and D30”
- 2004 ASTM D30 Award of Appreciation “for the role as co-editor of STP 1416 Composite Materials, Testing, Design, and Acceptance Criteria”
- 2001 Georgia Tech-School of Civil & Environmental Engineering Award of Appreciation “In recognition and acknowledgement of your outstanding devotion and exemplary service as the Group Coordinator of the Structural Engineering Program from 1993-2001”
- The Composite Institute Award of Excellence (1997) for the innovative design of the Twin-Webbed, Cellular I-section with Transverse Stiffeners.
- ASCE Norman Medal, 1989
- SPI-Composites Institute Best Paper Award- Testing Category, 1994.
- ASCE Georgia Tech 1988 Outstanding Faculty Member
- Tichreen University, First Rank Student in the years 1974, 1975, 1976, and 1978
- Zureick (2011). Discussion of “LRFD Factors for Pultruded Wide Flange Columns,” ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, to appear in the May issue of 2012
- Wang, N., C. O’Malley, B. R. Ellingwood and A.-H. Zureick (2011) “Bridge rating using system reliability assessment, Part II: Improvements to bridge rating practices” Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, 16, pp.854-862.
- Wang, N., B. R. Ellingwood and A.-H. Zureick (2010) “Bridge rating using system reliability assessment, Part I: Assessment and verification by load testing” Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, 16, pp. 863-871.
- Wang, N., B. R. Ellingwood, Abdul-Hamid Zureick (2010) “Reliability-based evaluation of flexural members strengthened with externally bonded fiber-reinforced polymer composites” Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 136, No. 9, pp.1151-1160.
- Engindeniz, M. and Zureick A. (2008). “Deflection Response of Glass Fiber-Reinforced Pultruded Components in Hot Weather Climates,” ASCE Journal of Composites for Construction,
- Zureick, Abdul-Hamid and Nettle, Alan T. (2002). “Composite Materials: Testing, Design, and Acceptance Criteria,” ASTM International, STP 1476.
- Zureick, A. and Kahn, L. F. (2001). Editors of “Rehabilitation of Reinforced Concrete Structures Using Fiber-Reinforced Polymer Composites,” ASM Handbook, Volume 21, Composites, pp.906-913.
- Zureick, A. (1997). “Stability of Horizontally Curved Steel Bridges,” Chapter 9, Guide to Stability Design Criteria For Metal Structures, Fifth Edition, Editor: T. V. Galambos, 1997, 23 pages.
- Zureick, A., and Gates T. (1996). Editors of “High Temperature and Environmental Effects on Polymeric Composites, 2, ASTM STP 1302, 1996.
- Wang, N., Ellingwood, B.R. and Zureick, A. (2011). “Reliability-based framework for achieving realistic and time-dependent highway bridge capacity ratings.” ICASP 11 August, 2011.
- Zureick, Abdul-Hamid (2008). “Short-term structural design of single angle pultruded members under compression”
- Engindeniz, M.; Kahn, L.; and Zureick, A. (2007). “Bidirectional Loading of Pre-1970 Corner Beam-Column Joints Before and after Rehabilitation with CFRP Composites,” Proceedings of the 6th Turkish national Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Istanbul, Turkey, October, Volume 1, pp. 551-562.
- Zureick, A. and Ellingwood, B. R. (2007). “Qualification, Acceptance, and Design Criteria for Externally Bonded FRP Reinforcement for Concrete Structures” FRPRCS8, Patras, Greece, Editor: T. Triantafillou, pp.
- Zureick, Abdul-Hamid (2005). “Proposed Short-term design strength equations for pultruded single angle compression members,” Composites for Construction Conference, CCC2005, July 12, Lyon, France, Editor: P. Hamlin, pp.
- Zureick, Abdul-Hamid, Ellingwood, Bruce R. Kim, Sung Hu, Bechtel, Andrew, O’Malley, Curtis, Shah, Falak, and Krapf, Carlyn (2012)- Bridge Repair and Strengthening Study, Part I, Draft report, Georgia department of Transportation.
- Wang, N., B. R. Ellingwood, A.-H. Zureick and C. O’Malley (2008) “Condition assessment of existing bridge structures, Task 1 - State of the art of bridge condition assessment” GDOT Project RP 05-01. (ftp://ftp.dot.state.ga.us/DOTFTP/Anonymous-Public/Research_Projects/)
- O’Malley, C., N. Wang, B. R. Ellingwood and A.-H. Zureick (2007) “Condition assessment of existing bridge structures: Report of Tasks 2 and 3 - Bridge Load Testing Program” GDOT Project RP 05-01. (ftp://ftp.dot.state.ga.us/DOTFTP/Anonymous-Public/Research_Projects/)
- Ellingwood, R. Zureick, A., Wang, N., O’Malley, C. (2009) “Condition assessment of existing bridge structures, Task 4 - Development of guidelines for condition assessment, evaluation and rating of bridges in Georgia” GDOT Project RP 05-01” (ftp://ftp.dot.state.ga.us/DOTFTP/Anonymous-Public/ Research_Projects/)
- Engindeniz, Murat, Kahn, Lawrance F., and Zureick, Abdul-Hamid (2004). Repair and Strengtheining of Non-Seismically Designed RC Beam-Column Joints-State-of-the-Art, Georgia Institute of Technology, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Structural Engineering, Mechanics, and Materials, Research Report No. 04-4.
- Innovative Materials for Future Construction, Structural Engineering Association of Georgia, Atlanta, September 16, 2010.
- Experimental Investigations for Strengthening Bridge Structures, ASCE SEI Meeting, Atlanta, October 18, 2010
- “Future Structures”, Science Olympiad 2009, Cobb County Regional Competition, Walton High School, 3-7,2009
- “Design of Stainless Steel Structures” September 19, 2007, Bechtel Corporation, Maryland.
- “Material and Structural Design Properties of Stainless Steel for Industrial Applications, August 30, 2007, Black and Veach, Kansas City.
- Fiber-Reinforced Polymeric Deck System, United States Patent & Trademark Office, U.S. Serial No. 60/261,951, January 2001, Pending.