Director, Brook Byers Institute for Sustainable Systems, Hightower Chair and Georgia Research Alliance Eminent Scholar in Environmental TechnologiesEnvironmental Engineering
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Ph.D. Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, 1976
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MSE Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, 1972
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, BSE Chemical Engineering, 1971
- Pollution Prevention
- Physical Chemical Treatment Processes (Ion Exchange, Oxidation Processes, Catalytic Oxidation, Photocatalytic Oxidation, Electrocatalysis, Adsorption, Electro-Adsorption, Air Stripping)
- Transport of Organics in Saturated and Unsaturated Groundwater
- Modeling of Fixed-Bed Reactors and Adsorbers (Photocatalysis, Low Temperature Catalysis in Aqueous and Gas Phases, Transport of Organics in Saturated and Unsaturated Groundwater)
- Sol-Gel Chemistry for Preparation of Zeolites and Catalysts
- Surface Chemistry and Thermodynamics (Prediction of Adsorption Capacities and Surface Catalyzed Rate Constants)
- Mass Transfer
- Numerical Methods
- Modeling of Wastewater and Water Treatment Processes
- 2014 Special Consultant, Beijing Energy Association.
- 2014 Honorary Professor, Northeast Normal University, Changchun, Jilin Province, China, to 2019.
- 2014 Executive Associate Editor-in-Chief, Frontiers of Chemical Science and Engineering, to 2017.
- 2014 Guest Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering, State Key Laboratory of Urban and Regional Ecology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China, to 2017.
- 2013 Elected into the Chinese Academy of Engineering.
- 2013 Honorary Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, Heilongjiang Province, China.
- 2012 Honorary Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Sichuan University, Sichuan, China.
- 2011 Visiting Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Tianjin University, Tianjin, China, to 2014.
- 2010 Honorary Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Dalian University of Technology, Dalian, China, to 2016.
- 2010 Honorary Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering, East China University of Science and Technology, Shanghai, China, to 2013.
- 2009 Advising Professor, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China, to 2012.
- 2009 Visiting Professor, Institute of Process Engineering, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China, to 2011.
- 2008 Recognized by the American Institute of Chemical Engineers as one of the 100 Eminent Chemical Engineers in Modern Times.
- 2007 Top viewed article in Journal of Scripta Materialia for January - March 2007 (Satoshi Kaneco, Yongsheng Chen, Paul Westerhoff and John C. Crittenden, “Fabrication of uniform size titanium oxide nanotubes: Impact of Current Density and Solution Conditions,” Scripta Materialia 56:373–376.
- 2006 Runner-up for the Editor’s Choice Award for the most significant technology-based paper that was submitted to the Journal of Environmental Science and Technology. (Chen, Y., J.C. Crittenden, S. Hackney, L. Sutter and D.W. Hand, “Preparation of a Novel TiO2-based p-n Junction Nanotube Photocatalyst,” Environmental Science and Technology, Vol. 39, No. 5, 1201- 1208 (2005).
- 2006 Appointed visiting faculty member of Ocean University of China, to 2009.
- 2005 Advised a student group who received Honorable Mention at EPA’s People, Planet and Prosperity Competition for their project entitled, “A Decision Support Tool for Sustainable Urban Water Management.” May 16, 2005, National Academies, Washington D.C.
- 2002 Elected to the National Academy of Engineering.
- 2000 AEESP Landmark Achievement Award. This award is presented annually to authors of an outstanding publication that has made a valuable contribution to the field and has withstood the test of time. The citation is: Crittenden, J.C., D.W. Hand, H. Arora, and B.W. Lykins Jr., "Design Considerations for GAC Treatment of Organic Chemicals,” Journal of American Water Works Association, Vol. 79, No. 1, pp. 74 82 (1988).
- 2000 Velázquez Carrillo, Marcela, James R. Mihelcic, John C. Crittenden, “Use of Material Selection Target Plots for Screening Chemicals based on Environmental and Health Properties,” presented at Society of Environmental Toxicology & Chemistry (SETAC) Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, November 14- 18, 1999. Awarded 3rd place best student poster presentation.
- Guangshan Zhang, Wen Zhang, John Crittenden, Daisuke Minakata, Yongsheng Chen, Peng Wang, “Effects of inorganic electron donors in photocatalytic hydrogen production over Ru/(CuAg)0.15In0.3Zn1.4S2 under visible light irradiation,” Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, 2014, DOI: 10.1063/1.4884197.
- Guo, X.; Minakata, D.; Junfeng, N.; Crittenden, J.C.; “Computer-Based First-Principles Kinetic Modeling of Degradation Pathways and Byproduct Fates in Aqueous Phase Advanced Oxidation Processes,” Environmental Science & Technology, 2014, 48, 5718-5725.
- Xiaolei Cao, Hongbin Cao, Yuxing Sheng, Yongbing Xie, Kai Zhang, Yi Zhang, John C. Crittenden, “Mechanisms of Cu 2+ migration, recovery and detoxification in Cu 2+-, -containing wastewater treatment process with anaerobic granular sludge,” Environmental Technology, 2014, DOI: 10.1080/09593330.2014.889215.
- Guangshan Zhang, Wen Zhang, Daisuke Minakata, Peng Wang, Yongsheng Chen, John C. Crittenden, “Efficient photocatalytic H2 production using visible-light irradiation and (CuAg)xIn2xZn2(1 − 2x)S2 photocatalysts with tunable band gaps,” International Journal of Energy Research, 2014, DOI: 10.1002/er.3157.
- Yang Li, Junfeng Niu, Enxiang Shang, John C. Crittenden, “Photochemical Transformation and Photoinduced Toxicity Reduction of Silver Nanoparticles in the Presence of Perfluorocarboxylic Acids under UV Irradiation,” Environmental Science and Technology, 2014, 48 (9), pp 4946–4953, DOI: 10.1021/es500596a.
- Kerry Howe, D.W. Hand, J.C Crittenden, R. Trussell, and G. Tchobanoglous, Principles of Water Treatment, First Edition, 672 pages, ISBN 0470405384, John Wiley, NY (2012).
- Minne, L., Pandit, A., Crittenden, J.C., Begovic, M., Kim, I., Jeong, H., James, J.-A., Lu, Z., Xu, M., French, S.P., Subrahmanyam, M., Noonan, D.S., Brown, M.A., Chandler, J., Chen, Y., Williams, E., Desroches, R., Bras, B., Li, K., Chang, M., “Interdependence Between Electric Energy, Gas, Transportation and Water Infrastructures in Large Urban Areas”, in: Meyers, R.A. (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Sustainability Science and Technology, Earth and Environmental Science, p. 12555, Springer (2012).
- Crittenden, John, Steve French, Arka Pandit, Hyunju Jeong, Ke Li, Ming Xu, “Sustainable Infrastructure and Alternatives for Urban Growth,” in Cabezas, H. and Diwekar, U. (eds.), Sustainability: Multidisciplinary Perspectives, pp. 141-172 (32), ISBN: 978-1-60805-429-9, Bantam, 2012.
- Pandit, A., Jeong, H., Crittenden, J.C., French, S., Xu, M., Li, K., “Sustainable Infrastructure and Alternatives for Urban Growth,” ,” in Cabezas, H. and Diwekar, U. (eds.), Sustainability: Multidisciplinary Perspectives, pp. 173-196 (24), ISBN: 978-1-60805-429-9, Bantam, 2012.
- Hand, D.W., D.R. Hokanson, and J.C. Crittenden, Chapter 6. “Gas-Liquid Processes: Principles and Applications,” Water Quality and Treatment, AWWA, Denver, CO published 2011.
- Yuping Li, Xiao Zhang, John Crittenden, Yongsheng Chen, “Synthesis of high performance thin film forward osmosis membrane by addition of oxidized multi-walled carbon nanotubes into polymer,” Proceedings of the 247th American Chemical Society National Meeting & Exposition, Dallas, Texas, March 16-20, 2014.
- Rajatha Bhat, Miroslav Begovic, Insu Kim, John Crittenden, Miomir Kostic, "Effects of PV on Conventional Generation," Proceedings of 2014 IEEE HICSS Conference, Waikoloa, Hawaii, January 2014.
- Insu Kim, Miroslav Begovic, Hyunju Jeong, John Crittenden, "Impact of Photovoltaic Distributed Generation on Generation Resource Allocation," Proc. IEEE HICSS, pp.2230-2236, 2013 46th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS), 2013.
- Minne, E., Crittenden, J.C. “SustainHome: Greening Your Home and Your Wallet, One Brick at a Time; An App for the Comparative Cost and Environmental Impact Analysis of Building Materials and Practices,” Poster presentation at Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors Conference in Golden, CO, July 14–16, 2013.
- James, J. C., Sung, S., Frankland, J., Bras, B., French, S., Crittenden, J. C. “Water, Energy and Emissions Impacts of Large Scale Combined Heat and Power Systems,” Poster presentation at Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors Conference in Golden, CO, July 14–16, 2013.
- Westerhoff, P.; Crittenden, J.; Moon, H.; Minakata, D. Oxidative Treatment of Organics in Membrane Concentrates. Water Reuse Research. 2010. Water Reuse Research Foundation. Alexandria, VA. 75 pgs.
- John C. Crittenden (Member of EPA’s National Advisory Council and Environmental Policy and Technology), “EPA Technology Programs and Intra-Agency Coordination,” EPA Report, EPA 100-R00-021, 2006, 46 pgs.
- Crittenden, J.C., “Advances in Advanced Oxidation Processes for Water Treatment," School of Environment, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, June 5, 2014.
- Crittenden, J.C., “The Gigaton Problem: Challenges & Opportunities,” International Conference on Engineering Science and Technology (ICEST 2014), Beijing, China, June 2, 2014.
- Crittenden, J.C., “Infrastructure Ecology: An Evolving Paradigm for Sustainable Urban Development,” presented at the American Planning Association’s 106th National Planning Conference, Atlanta, Georgia, April 26, 2014.
- Crittenden, J.C., “Gigaton Problems Require Gigaton Solutions,” Trottier Institute for Sustainability in Engineering and Design, Annual Symposium, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, March 17, 2014.
- Crittenden, J.C., “Gigaton Problems Need Gigaton Solutions,” Beijing Zhao Tung University, Beijing, China, April 10, 2014.
- Wen Zhang, Guangshan Zhang, John Crittenden, Yongsheng Chen. Experimental Determination of Conduction and Valence Bands of Semiconductor Nanoparticles using Kelvin Probe Force Microscopy. Conception of invention October 2011. Disclosed to GTRI December 2011. Funded by USEPA Science to Achieve Results Program Grant RD83385601, Semiconductor Research Corporation (SRC)/ESH Grant (425.025), and research/education fund from Brook Byers Institute for Sustainable Systems
- Hristovski, K., Westerhoff, P., Crittenden, J., Olson, L., “Nanostructured Zirconium Oxide Spheres,” U.S. Provisional Patent Application Attorney Docket No. 22193- 047P01, 2009.